Every now and then, I get a comment on my blog that goes like this (and this is a real example!):
“Everything is soo fake there makes me cringe how the whole city is set in a dessert”
Did you see what they did there with the spelling of desert?
Anyway, moving on … I’m well aware there are people who think Dubai is a concrete jungle with no soul, no culture. And apart from the general barrenness and lack of greenery, don’t you have to wear a veil, cover up on the beach and abstain from alcohol? Most of these people haven’t even visited.
Here are 14 more reasons to NOT even consider moving here:
1. There are no gardens or flowers – it’s a desert, all sand and concrete.
2. Apart from the Burj Khalifa, there are no other buildings worth seeing.
3. And lying on the beach is so boring!
4. Surely no wildlife other than camels could live in temperatures that reach 47 degrees?
5. The locals are really unfriendly – don’t expect to ever talk to any.
6. Only men are allowed to drive.
7. The view from the Burj is … meh! Nothing you haven’t seen before.
8. You spend your whole time indoors, in the air-conditioning.
10. Get ready to don your burka at all times while in Dubai – and prepare to not let alcohol touch your lips. There’s nothing to celebrate!
11. After a few days, there’s absolutely nothing to do. Yawn.
12. Everything’s new – there’s no history!
13. That food! You wouldn’t want to put any of it in your mouth.
14. Who would want to live in the desert anyway?